A Kum Kapi signed silk and metal thread rug
A Kum Kapi signed silk and metal thread rug Circa 1920’s.
Size : 60×88 cm
Stock No : 1107
Kumkapı was a village with Armenian population where pure silk rugs with extraordinary quality were woven in the 19th century. Although it is fishing village present day, Kumkapı workshops, near the Great Palace of Ottoman Sultans, produced rugs, which rivaled with Hereke Imperial Workshops and this aim made them weave rugs with amazing quality.
During the beginning of 19th century, two master weavers of Kumkapı and their workshops were active:
Hagop Kapuciyan, known as Hagop the fat; Zareh Penyamin, the greatest of the Kumkapı masters. Hagop Kapoukjiyan Coming to Istanbul from Kayseri, a central Anatolian town, Hagop established his first looms in Kumkapı where he first took 16th century Iranian Carpets and rugs with compartments as model but he added added some distinguished features to them. Hagop the Fat who designed carpets with central medallions and cartouches moved to Paris 1920s. He continued his weaving, repair work in the French capital, and died there.